Second guide | Turkey's Higher Education
Turkey had around 207 universities until 2019, and all of which are, of course, affiliated with the Turkish Council of Higher Education, aka "YÖK". Accordingly, all these universities are locally and internationally recognised.
- This means that all the certificates obtained from the official Turkish universities are accredited in all the other European countries. In addition, certificates are issued according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
- According to the QS higher education system strength rankings in the world states,
- Turkey ranked 39th in 2016, then jumped to rank 29th in 2018.
- Speaking of the field of scientific research and patents, Turkey ranked 42nd in 1982, 18th in 2008 and 10th in 2018 among the other world countries in the field of scientific research. This was evident in publishing in global periodicals, holding patents, being scientifically creative and getting global awards.
Advantages of Studying in Turkish Universities:
- First: The Turkish universities provide a high-quality education represented in the massive potential of their laboratories, training programs and scientific research.
- Second: They grant an internationally recognized certificate as mentioned before as Turkey applies the structure of the European educational system and adopts the European ECTS, which allows students to equate their subjects of study and certificates with any European country.
- Third: They support Student Exchange Programs which allow you to study a full year in a European country.
- Fourth: They offer the possibility of having a "double major," which enables you to study another major besides your original major of study.
- Fifth: They offer lower tuition fees than the USA and other European countries.
- Sixth: They offer the possibility of studying in Turkish or in English, with a one-year preparatory program.
How to Apply for the Turkish Universities?
There are two types of universities:
- Turkey has about 70 private universities.
- The admission requirements are very simple. They accept students with only high-school diploma without requiring any additional exams or language proficiency tests; acceptance is guaranteed.
- In Turkey campus, we deal only with the official universities, which are certainly accredited and recognized locally and internationally. We can offer partially-funded scholarships and over 50% discounts on their tuition fees. In some cases, we can offer fully-funded scholarships, but under certain conditions.
- Their programs of study available either 100% in English or in Turkish.
- They represent around 70% of the total number of the universities, around 120 universities, which are all over the Turkish cities.
- Applying for the public universities is subject to many conditions. They do not only require a high-school diploma, but also some other exams such as Yös, SAT and others, as per some universities. These exams are required as the competition is fierce among candidates, especially, in the medical majors.
- Of course, it is neither difficult nor impossible. You just need a place like Turkey campus that could advice and consult you honestly and professionally together with helping you to apply.
- The language of study in most of the majors in the public universities is Turkish; however, there are also many majors whos language of study is English.
Masters and Ph.D.:
- They offer Master's and Ph.D. programs in both English and Turkish, but, of course, English is the language of study of most of them.
- Getting accepted there in the Master's and Ph.D. programs is very simple, especially, in the Social and Applied Sciences programs. However, it is not that simple in the Medical programs; their requirements differ from one university to another and some require a certain GPA.
- The tuition fees differ from one university to another. Yet, in Turkey Campus, we provide you with consultation and information on each university with their fees. We also offer you scholarships and discounts.
- They are totally different. Most of the majors are only available in Turkish. You can even find a major whose undergraduate program is in English, but its MA and Ph.D. are in Turkish.
- As for the admission requirements, they usually require a GPA higher than 3.00 and the score of a language proficiency test either in Turkish or in English. Some other universities offer a preparatory year for acquiring the language.
Let me explain Turkish Higher Education in general:
- To take the transition to the tertiary level, Turkish students have to sit for the YGS, the higher education examination.
- On the other hand, international students are entitled to enter the Turkish universities either through sitting for the YÖS exam, which is held in Turkish and consists of some mathematical questions and IQ, or through their total high school grades or their international diplomas.
- The higher institutes are a two-year period of study. If the language of study there is a foreign language, you can study a preparatory year for acquiring the language.
- Higher Institutes graduates are entitled to compete their Bachelor degree in a Turkish university. They study there for four years; however, they first have to sit for the DGS, an equivalent exam.
- The Bachelor’s degree is a four-year period of study in some faculties, but five- or six-year period of study in others, such as the faculties of pharmacy, dentistry, and medicine.
- Any student who obtains a bachelor degree has the right to pursue an MA degree under the conditions of the university he wants to join.
- An MA degree lasts for two or three years depending on the major.
- There are two types of masters: a thesis master (Academic Master) and a non-thesis master (Practical Master).
- After completing your MA, you can apply for a PhD.
- A PhD is four-year study and a dissertation.
- In some majors of some Turkish universities, BA students can pursue their MA and PhD in an intensive program and obtain the two degrees at the same time.
In the next article, we will provide you with information about the admission requirements, costs of living, available universities and other. This series of articles will be as a comprehensive guide to students looking forward to studying in Turkey. This series was prepared in collaboration with Nafham, the biggest free online crowdsourced educational platform in Egypt and the Middle East that provides online learning and, explanation of the mandated public curriculum and support to youth and students in order to develop their life skills; and Turkey Campus Foundation for student services, an accredited agent of many Turkish universities in the field of educational counselling. Turkey Campus can help you apply for its partner Turkish universities and guarantee you get accepted there. It also helps you get exclusive over 50% discounts on your annual tuition fees through its partnership with many distinguished universities.
Don't forget to read the rest of the series' articles, and watch our videos on this Link.
You can now contact us to take advantage of our services that we provide to our students and to reserve your seat. Apply Now!
The most important pages
Transportation in Istanbul4 months ago
Undergraduate Specialization Series | Specializing in Interior Architecture and Environmental Design4 months ago
The First Guide | Advantages of the Turkish scholarship4 months ago
Biruni University4 months ago
Fourth Guide | Admission Requirements for Turkish Universities4 months ago
TED University4 months ago